Wednesday, September 18, 2019

1/144th Gelgoog WiP part 2

In part 1, I discussed several items I had to chop up on this kit. So far it's been a trial of patience and error, trying to see what would work and what would not. Unfortunately I did not create "working" elbow joints, but may be able to tear it back apart later and figure something out. The best part of this so far has been the head, or more specifically, the "nose". This will become easier to see in part 3 when I show off the primered parts!



The head was the easiest part to fix so far. The original kit part was merely a "beak", which just doesn't cut it for a Gelgoog! Above you can see the original styrene shapes glues into place, below shows what they look like after sanding and in place on the dry-fitted Gelgoog!


 Above, before sanding and drilling out the "vents", below is after;


You can also see the nasty kit "elbows" above. Just little ball joints, and don't allow for any articulated bend at the elbow at all. The only good thing it allows is a "swivel", which I took care of on the right arm only, with the help of some styrene rod and a spare PC cap;










The above photos are basically my "failed" attempt to recreate any sore of working elbow joint that becomes hidden when the arm is straight. You can also see where I cut the upper arm at the rounded shoulder, basically separating into a shoulder and bicep. These would become the swivel joint bicep!











Above, the workings of the upper arm swivel bicep on the right arm, as well as the faux elbow joints. These are glued into place for now. Below, the look of the assembled arms on the dry-fitted (and primered) Gelgoog!




I had quite a bit of sanding to do on the added styrene parts. But it came out beautifully, which was amazing because I eye-balled everything on this! Usually I can't get results that look this sharp! 😅

Next post will be the primered parts and the various degrees to what I'm going through to get this thing back together. If I'd have known it was going to be this bad, I probably would not have bothered! 😨😅😴

In part 3, I go through my primer process. 🙀😹😷

~Sean "Zakuformer" Kneeland


No comments:

Post a Comment