Thursday, September 19, 2019

1/144th Gelgoog WiP part 3

In part 2, I took you through the head modifications and the arm joints. In this part, I'll concentrate on the primer and minor fixing of overlooked mistakes made during building.

I'm currently painting these with Mr. Surfacer 1000, thinned with Lacquer thinner and sprayed through an airbrush. Doing this means I get generally smooth surfaces and a chance to see where the mistakes I made in regards to seamline filling and sanding.

 Here are the various parts in primer on my makeshift parts holder; a styrofoam block, which I can stick my steak skewers into (these have w/alligator clips on the ends to hold onto the various parts). A must have for any Gunpla-painting session! I'm primering this one right along with a Gundam and a Zaku Marine type from ZZ. Stay tuned for these in upcoming posts!
 The Gelgoog head next to a Gundam head! These look damned awesome in primer! Now if I can just finish painting these... 😅
 It sometimes takes two or three sessions in the primer stage to get everything covered. Some are way more efficient in this stage. Not me! I have to take my time, if I rush this stuff, it tends to look bad in the end. 🙀

 Above you can see the various lighter splotches of light grey primer in various places. This is the "touchup" I do using Mr. Surfacer 500 with a brush, I go over the very fine seams and cracks that tend to show up in these models. It's impossible to see everything when just building, a process I did not use before, and usually guaranteed lousy results in my finishes. Hopefully doing these in primer will help me in that regard.
What it looks like now! Very happy with how it's coming along, and I've got most of the mistakes fixed. There are a couple more, but hoping to get some painting done on this very soon!
A preview of the shield... 😁

~Sean "Zakuformer" Kneeland

No comments:

Post a Comment